Starting A Lesbians Who Tech in Your City is Simple.
All it takes is one person to be the City Director, and about 5-10 hours per month.
Six things you need:
- You need to live in the city you want to host events in.
- You know of at least 8-10 queer women in and around tech.
- You need to recruit a second city director, so you can have back-up. Plus, two is better than one.
Side note: we’d prefer that at least one of the two city directors be a queer woman of color.
- You need 5 to 10 hours each month to organize the monthly happy hour. You’d be responsible for:
– Finding and securing the venue
– Arranging for a photographer or having someone take photos
– Doing outreach to other communities, to help spread the word and get people to sign up for the events. Specifically, you would connect with groups and communities focused on diversity in tech, LGBTQ people, women, startups and entrepreneurship. Click here to read more about Do’s and Don’t for Lesbians Who Tech Happy Hour Events.
– After the event, uploading photos to Dropbox and sending them to Leanne
- You need to buy a Lesbians Who Tech shirt (at a 50% discount for city directors) that you can wear to each event
- You need to join a Lesbians Who Tech Team call with all of the other city directors once per quarter.
Ready to come onboard? Email Leanne at email@example.com, and put “Starting a LWT in [your city]” in the subject line.