So you’re trying to get your company to cover your Summit ticket?
Fret not, copy the letter below and fill it in as needed to show your boss all of the benefits of #LWTSUMMIT. Trust us, it works.
Give This Letter to Your Boss
Dear [MANAGER’S NAME],
I would like your approval to attend the Lesbians Who Tech & Allies Summit on [DATE]. This event is dedicated to supporting and amplifying queer techies and allies and will specifically offer specialized tech and career tracks providing the inspiration, education, and connections needed to continue being successful in my job.
This is not your typical conference. The Lesbians Who Tech & Allies Summit is queer, inclusive, and badass. It will bring together their most accomplished techies for an intimate conference focused on technology trends and career growth.
Quick facts about Summit:
- Convening LGBTQ techies and allies from all over the world.
- Only event in the world focused 100% providing value to LGBTQ women.
- Past speakers include: Hillary Clinton, Bozoma Saint John, Stacey Abrams, Susan Wojcicki, Sheryl Sandberg, Kara Swisher, Megan Smith, Lydia Polgreen, and many more!
While attending, I’ll have the opportunity to meet and network with peers who are focused on the same challenges as me. Between the content presented in the sessions, I plan to continue to strengthen my skills in [X], [Y] and [Z], and walk away having learned [potential goals to model/adapt]:
Goal 1: Gain 2-3 technical resources to advance my work.
Goal 2: Make three connections with peers in my current role from similar companies to strengthen my work and develop a network.
Goal 3: Network with senior level executives to further develop my skills as a professional.
Goal 4: [if your company is hiring] Share current job openings at my company with job seekers attending the event.
The most recent Summit agenda can be found here and this event will have over 150 talks and current and past summit speakers include:
- Hillary Clinton
- Sheryl Sandberg, COO, Facebook
- Lydia Polgreen, Editor in Chief, HuffPost
- Kara Swisher, Co-Founder & Editor, Recode & NY Times Columnist
- Kimberly Bryant, Founder of Black Girls Code
- Tegan & Sara, Activists & Musicians
- Angelica Ross, Actress, Pose & Founder, Trans Tech Social Enterprises
- Arlan Hamilton, Founder of Backstage Capital
- Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords & Astronaut Mark Kelly
- Bozoma Saint John, Former Chief Brand Officer, Uber
- Stacey Abrams, Candidate for Governor
- Alicia Garza, Co-Founder, BlackLivesMatter
- Aileen Lee, Venture Capitalist, Founder, Cowboy Ventures
- Aminatou Sow, Digital Strategist, Writer & Cohost of Call Your Girlfriend
- Dara Johnson, Treseder, CMO, GE
- FCC Commissioner Mignon Clyburn
- Hilary Rosen, CNN & Former Head of the Recording Industry Association of America
- Ingrid Nilsen, Entrepreneur + YouTube Creator
- Jenna Wortham, Staff Writer, NYTimes
- London Breed, San Francisco Mayor
- Luvvie Ajayi, Author & Activist
- Lydia Polgreen, Editor in Chief, HuffPost
- Madame Gandhi, Activist & Musician
- Maggie Haberman, White House Correspondent for NYTimes
- Marc Benioff, CEO, Salesforce
- Megan Smith, 3rd, CTO, United States
- Patrisse Cullors, Co-Founder, BlackLivesMatter
- Robbie Kaplan, Founder of Kaplan & Company + Attorney in US v. Windsor
- Samhita Mukhopadhyay, writer & Executive Editor, Teen Vogue
- Senator Tammy Baldwin
- Shantell Martin, Artist
- Tina Tchen , TimesUp & former Chief of Staff to First Lady Michelle Obama; and Executive Director of the White House Council on Women and Girls
- Yvette Pasqua, CTO, Meetup
I know that it’ll cover a huge range of topics related to engineering, product, and design with a culturally relevant perspective. I’m confident that I’ll be able to build a packed agenda full of sessions relevant to what I’m working on.
I’m confident that my attendance at the Summit will directly influence the quality of my work on [PROJECT NAME].
When I get back from the Lesbians Who Tech & Allies Summit, I’m happy to share takeaways with the team, including those that we can implement immediately and outlines on how we’ll make that happen.
I’ve broken down the approximate cost of my attendance at the Lesbians Who Tech + Allies New York Summit:
- Airfare/Travel: [$IF APPLICABLE]
- Hotel: [$IF APPLICABLE]
- Event Registration: [$AMOUNT]
- TOTAL: [$AMOUNT]
The earlier I register, the cheaper it will be.
You can learn more about the event at lesbianswhotech.org.
Thank you for taking the time to review this request, and I’m looking forward to hearing from you.
“Just wanted to say I’m SO incredibly excited to go the New York Summit! The “Convince Your Boss” letter was a fantastic resource and against all odds, the company said yes and is sponsoring my ticket! I just bought my ticket and am so completely thrilled 🙂 Thank you so much for this opportunity, I’m so excited and honored!” – C.E.